Dental Services in Tulsa
Even with excellent oral hygiene practices, most people will need some form of restorative treatment within their lifetime. However, there are steps you can take to reduce these odds. At T-Town Smiles, we offer some dental services designed to prevent or treat the most common oral health problems, such as toothaches, cavities, gum disease, trauma, bruxism (teeth grinding), and even missing teeth. We also offer emergency services for situations that require immediate care. From elective cosmetic procedures to essential restorative ones, we can help you maintain a beautiful, bright, and healthy smile.
The Importance of Preventive and Restorative Treatment
The two most common oral health problems are tooth decay and gum disease. Both of these issues share the same culprit, the bacteria found in plaque (the thin biofilm on our teeth). These bacteria feed off the sugars and other simple carbohydrates we consume. As they feed, they produce acids that attack our enamel, which leads to tooth decay (cavities).
Our immune system produces toxins in response to the bacteria. Unfortunately, these toxins also target healthy tissues and lead to an infection. When left unchecked this infection, also known as gum disease, can cause the deterioration of our gum tissues, connective ligaments, and even or jawbone. Eventually, you will experience tooth loss. Gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss.
The preventive treatments we provide are designed to help combat these problems before they become major complications. The restorative treatments we provide are designed to correct these problems and prevent even further damage.
If you wait too long to receive preventive or restorative treatment, your smile could be in serious trouble. Your overall health may also suffer. Studies have shown that gum disease is linked to systemic illnesses, such as heart disease, pulmonary disease, and diabetes.
Our Preventive Dental Services
Our preventive services include:
- Oral Exams – During your regular checkups, we will perform a comprehensive oral exam to look for signs of tooth decay and other dental diseases. An exam can help us catch these problems before they require major, sometimes costly treatment.
- Professional Cleanings – During a professional cleaning, our dental hygienist will remove instances of plaque and tartar (calcified plaque). Tartar is much harder to remove than plaque, and often requires professional cleaning.
- Head and Neck Cancer Screenings – During a head and neck cancer screening, we will perform a physical and visual examination to look for certain symptoms. The benefits of a cancer screening go without saying.
- Orthodontic Space Maintenance – If a tooth is lost prematurely, it may cause problems for your bite. The surrounding teeth may shift out of their proper position in response to the open space. Orthodontic space maintenance will preserve the open space until the permanent tooth erupts, or we provide a tooth replacement.
- Sealants – A dental sealant is a plastic coating that we place over the occlusal (bite) surface of the molars and premolars. This coating can protect the deep grooves in our teeth that trap food debris and bacteria, making them less vulnerable to decay.
- Mouth Guards – We may recommend a mouth guard if you grind your teeth at night, or participate in physical activities that put you at risk for tooth trauma, or injury.
- Non Impacted Wisdom Teeth Removal – The wisdom teeth erupt much later than the rest of our teeth. These third molars often create problems for our existing teeth because there simply is not enough space in the jaw to accommodate them. We may recommend extraction to prevent future complications.
Our Restorative Dental Services
Our restorative services include:
- Cosmetic and Amalgam Fillings – Dental fillings are used to seal off and restore areas of decay. Cosmetic fillings are generally made with resin composite, a soft material that we shape and color match to your existing enamel. We may recommend an amalgam, or silver filling, in areas that are hidden from view and need additional support.
- Dental Bridges – A dental bridge is used when you are missing one or more adjacent teeth. Most bridges consist of two dental crowns linked together by a pontic, or false tooth.
- Dental Crowns – A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that restores the function and esthetics of a damaged tooth. We must completely reshape the existing enamel to accommodate the shape of the crown.
- Dental Implants – Dental implants are quickly becoming the preferred treatment for tooth loss. If you are missing a tooth or multiple teeth, dental implants might be the right solution to restore your smile and confidence.
- Dentures – A denture is used to replace an entire arch of missing teeth. Dentures are removable, and usually, require an adhesive to stay in place. However, this appliance can still drastically improve your quality of life.
- Partial Dentures – A partial denture is a removable alternative to a fixed bridge. Most partials use metal clasps to attach to the surrounding teeth. Precision attachments are also available.
- Gum Disease Treatment – The first stage of gum disease, gingivitis, is easily reversible with a professional cleaning and improved oral hygiene practices.
- Scaling and Root Planing – If gum disease progresses to periodontitis, we may need to perform a scaling and root planing. A scaling an root planing is a more detailed version of professional cleaning. The goal is to reverse gum recession and return your tissues to a healthy, pink state.
- Root Canal Therapy – A root canal is usually the last defense against gum disease or infection before you need an extraction. During a root canal, we remove the infected pulp from the center of the tooth and replace it with gutta percha. Teeth that have undergone root canal treatment need to be capped with a dental crown.
- Tooth Extraction – Unfortunately, we may need to perform a tooth extraction to prevent the spread of infection. Once the tooth is extracted, we will discuss your possible replacement options.
Our Cosmetic Dental Services
Our cosmetic services include:
- Cosmetic Contouring – During cosmetic contouring, we remove a small amount of enamel from the tooth to improve the esthetics. This is one of the easiest and most cost effective cosmetic procedures.
- Teeth Whitening – Teeth whitening involves the application of a bleaching gel to the surfaces of your teeth. Chairside whitening treatment can drastically improve the brightness of your smile.
- Veneers – A veneer is a very thin porcelain shell that we bond to the front surface of the tooth. Veneers can be used to make minor and major esthetic changes.
Knowing what to do during a dental emergency can make the difference between saving and losing a tooth. If you have fractured or knocked a tooth out, be sure to contact us immediately. Most of the time, we can offer same day appointments to help get your oral health back on track promptly.
Schedule Your Appointment Now!
Don’t neglect your oral health. Call (918) 488-9770 to schedule your appointment now!
Accepting New Patients
Looking for a full-service dentist in Tulsa?
At the office of Dr. Scott Street, we offer stress-free family care using modern technology and an old-fashioned personal approach. We provide a full selection of dental treatments, from routine cleanings to top-quality dental restorations. If you are looking for a full-service family dentist in Tulsa, OK, call us today at 918-481-4922 or use our online Appointment Request form.
Suite 1107 (11th Floor)
Tulsa, OK 74136
Tuesday 8am - 5pm
Wednesday 8am - 5pm
Thursday 8am - 5pm
Friday 8am - 5pm
Additional times are available.
Dr. Scott Street and the team at T-Town Smiles are proud to be the local Tulsa Dentist serving families in Tulsa, Broken Arrow, Jenks, Oakhurst, Bixby, Glenpool and surrounding Tulsa communities.